Saturday, December 31, 2005

Narnia, A Bit Lacking?


I went to see Narnia the other day, and would have to say that I give it a solid C rating. It's been interesting discussing the film with my evangelical friends who find my review a bit too harsh. But basically I found the film a bit boring, lacking in any real charachter development, and tension in the film. There was no real reason for me to hate the villain, or to even love the hero Aslan. It does seem, as I remember, that the book had a more majestic Aslan. Some have said that the bloodless battle was weak, and maybe it was, but I don't think so. There are plenty of action violence films (Like StarWars) that don't get graphically violent, but still convey action, or even tension. Some have alluded to the fact that Lewis wrote the book as a chil;dren's story, so of course it would lack development, and tension, but even C.S. Lewis was once quoted as saying that if a child's story could not appeal to an adult, it was a poor child's story. There have been many great children films like Shrek (Interesting since Andrew Adamson directed Shrek), Monster's INC. etc. that are made for children, but thoroughly enjoyable. Some have pointed to poor acting, but I really don't think so. I think maybe it's the allegory that C.S. Lewis' friend and colleague J.R. Tolkien had a bit of a problem with. Isn't it how we Christians do art? There has to be that Christ figure, and one for one allegory, or we sem to struggle with it's validity. I just got done reading the Da Vinci Code, and although I find it's theology to be quite amusing, I was encouraged to find out that Dan Brown didn't feel the need to tie up all the loose knots at the end of the story. He actually lets you think about what he said, and what appears to be what he believes. Can't we Christians learn to tell good stories, develop our charachters, allow our readers/viewers to "Feel" our story, and actually allow them to make their own conclusions? Well, see it for yourself, and come to your own conclusions, since that's what aret is ultimately about, our misguided intepretations, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home